Red State Failed State
I write this on August 28th 2021. I once again say, "Told ya mofoezz: Texas is the ValuJet of states!" The observation is evident in numerous instances of failed governance this summer. But I have come to realize that Texas is not the only failing American state. In fact, Florida is a failed state as are several other "red states" under governance of Republican legislatures and governors. It is the end game of the Southern Strategy and the Reagan Revolution. Say bye bye.
My ValuJet analogy worked for a while, but fixing this problem of governance requires a deeper look - a look into the underlying ideology. ValuJet was a symbol representing Republican guiding principles not only for business but also government run as a business:
- Perceptions matter more than facts.
- Safety is secondary to product image.
- Customers (campaign contributors) are not equal; the ones who pay more are more important.
- Pander to the customers to get repeat business (reelection).
- Reduce prices (taxes) until the customers are happy, even if you must reduce service to the poor or weak.
- Reduce regulation until the customers are happy, even if others are harmed, if the harmed have limited means to retaliate.
- When science and expertise contradict policy, attack the science and expertise.
- When something bad happens, direct blame toward your adversries.
- Use disinformation to push talking points favorable to the regime.
Governors Abbott (Texas) and DeSantis (Florida) have embarked on a crusade to advance the goals of extremist right wing Republicans: people who are in the MAGA / Trumpist / Q Anon / Neo Nazi / KKK faction. They are less interested in governing than in fighting the culture war and contradicting anything advocated by the Democrats. Three things seem to top their agendas: virus, votes, and teaching about racial issues.
- Resist COVID-19 vaccination, despite scientific evidence that vaccines are effective in reducing the spread and severity of the virus.
- Deny the failure of anti vax and anti mask policies; blame illegal immigrants (despite evidence that it is unvaccinated citizens spreading the virus).
- Advocate Ivermectin, an animal deworming paste, as a treatment for people after infection, despite evidence that it is harmful and ineffective against the virus.
- Block any mandates requiring people to wear masks as a virus mitigation.
- Support faith based opposition to vaccination.
- Make voter suppression laws, despite the lack of evidence of a need based on actual voter fraud.
- Redraw voting districts to concentrate Republican voters and dilute Democrat voters. If you thought the era of gerrymandering was over, know that it continues.
- Create a false hysteria over "critical race theory" and how history or politics are taught in schools. Be aware that the Republicans don't even know what the theory is or where is was actually taught.
- Attack local boards of education and how they manage any of the above issues.
Instead of governing as prudent and wise leaders who love democracy, those bastards are acting as adversaries of democracy. Compare their actions to the neo-nazi "14 words" and you will see a correlation. All the while, COVID-19 sickens and kills more unvaccinated people in the red states. Hospital intensive care units are saturated and they cannot accept people hurt in accidents or suffering from other illnesses.
Instead of unifying the population as one body, with a single mind of recovering
and building up their states, the Republicans are hell bent on breaking away
and setting up authoritarian, white supremacist, dominionist Christian
states. As such, Texas, Florida,and other red states resemble failed states
like Somalia or Afghanistan more than resembling modern, functional places like
British Columbia or New South Wales. I have said before that the USA is on course
to have an internal conflict as in Kosovo or Rwanda. This is how it happens.
States crumble, then the nation crumbles unless citizens and leaders take
ownership of their democracy and mindfully build a nation which works for all
of the people..